Skip to main content

Jehovah Jira: The God Who Provides

"So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
 I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

What began as a VBS memory verse has quickly turned into the theme of our summer.  As we walk this road of uncertainty, we cling to the truth that God is with us.  He has gone before us and will provide the strength to finish this adventure. 

Part of that journey is a new school for our girls.  For Brooklyn, this is just a small change.  Kindergarten is a year of new friendships, schedules, and teachers.  For her, the location has changed, but the experience remains the same.  As a third grader, Paige's year is completely different.  New building, teachers, and, most importantly, friends. 

As I drove my nervous girl to school yesterday, we lifted our voices to the Lord and I fought back tears.  I reassured her that she would have friends, that this would be a good year, and that her fears would not become realities.  Pulling into the parking lot, she uttered another "I don't want to go" and I steadied my voice enough to remind her of our verse.  "When your scared, just say Isaiah 41:10 over and over in your head. God will take care of you."  Minutes later I left my brave faced first born standing against the cinder block walls and I prayed that God would not only make good on His promise, but that he would give her friends. 

I would find out that afternoon, that God did us one better.  You see, a friend that Paige had made at church just "happened" to sit down in the desk right next to her.  A little girl who immediately recognized Paige.  A little girl with the last name Black.  In a classroom that is organized alphabetically.  So not only does Paige have a new friend, she has an old friend who sits next to her all day and stands behind her in line.  She is NEVER alone.  And that's true whether or not Reagan is at school. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams Take Time

I'm not someone to choose a word for my year or set out with any big aspirations for change.  Likely because I am a fair amount of lazy and avoid disappointment at all costs.  God knows that about me, so He tends to take care of the planning and usually by December I have realized what it is I was suppose to learn.  If not, he always lets me repeat the lesson.  He's real generous like that.   So, after spending 2017 stepping into youth ministry and feeling BRAVE I headed into 2018 like David after Goliath.  I mean, God was for sure using me for some giant situations! He had given me a passion that excited and inspired me in a way I had never before experienced. People around me noticed. I was ready to take on the world.   Then, slowly but surely, the path I envisioned started to fade.  The ways I intended to use my passion fell away and I was left with a dream that had no real path.  Now don't get me wrong, He was still using me.  I could see that even in the midst of the c

My Promise

To my children: I recently saw this sign... "I am not your friend.  I am your parent.  I will stalk you, flip out on you, lecture, drive you insane, be your worst nightmare, and hunt you down when necessary because I love you and when you understand that I will know you're a responsible adult.  You will never find someone who loves, prays, cares, or worries about you more than me.  This is my promise to you." At first glance, I thought I might agree, but then I read on.  The words that followed didn't settle.  You are little and, right now, I am not your friend.  On day, I hope to be and so I am making you a different promise. I will give you the freedom to test your wings and the boundaries to keep you safe.   I will enforce constructive consequences that will help you better understand the choices you make.  I will listen to your fears, needs and desires.  I will treat you with respect, grace, and love always remembering that you are a work in progress just

Changed

I suck at prayer.  If you need someone to pray for you, I'm probably not your girl.  Sure, I'll say I'll do it.  I'll even have good intentions to get it done.  But I won't.  The light will turn green, the kids will yell, the phone will ring and I will forget.  Every time.  My personal prayer life isn't much better.  It's embarrassing to say, but I'm too rushed, tired, and distracted.  The thought of prayer seldom crosses my mind. Apparently, God has been noticing.  In the past few months I have found myself on the outskirts of situation after situation that lead me straight to my knees.  Not a passing "Please God work in that situation" way, but a "My words have run dry and still I pray" kind of way.  I have prayed myself to sleep and then awoken with an urgency to pray again.  I have wept as I pleaded with God to work miracles.  I have prayed that God's hand would be seen and I have prayed that Satan's lies would be reveal